What is personal information?
When used in this Policy, "personal information" has the meaning given in the Privacy Act. Generally, it means any information or an opinion that could be used to identify you.
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect your personal information if you:
- have contact with us in person;
- participate in public or closed surveys, questionnaires or events;
- register for face-to-face or digital events (such as webinars);
- interact with us online, including through our websites, email, webchats, and social media channels (such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram or LinkedIn – these social media channels will also handle your personal information for their own purposes and have their own privacy policies);
- donated to another organisation and have consented to receiving information from like-minded organisations such as Carbon8; and
- apply for a position with us (either as an employee, or as a volunteer or as a contractor).
- This collection may be required to allow you to:
Collecting personal information through our website
Our websites use Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Our websites and mobile applications also use the following Google Analytics Advertising Features:
- Remarketing and Impression Reporting;
- Demographics and Interest Reporting.; and
- Government (Commonwealth, State, Territory and Department) reporting.
Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage in order to improve our services, programs, content and resources.
Our website use marketing automation tools that send communications (such as email or SMS) using a number of different services. Each service uses tracking technologies primarily to understand what subjects are interesting to you by monitoring whether your emails are opened and links are followed. This information is then used to improve the messages that are sent to you and to improve the services, programs, content and resources that are offered to you.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect the personal information which you provide to us. This may include your name, address, age or date of birth, telephone number, organisation, service or educational institution details, email address, communication preferences, professional learning, or the amount you have donated. In some cases, with your consent (for example, if you apply to register as a blueVoices member or volunteer), we may also collect health information about you, such as your medical history.
If you order certain resources, or make a donation to us, you may also provide credit card details and other information which will allow us to process your request and make the transaction.
The choice of how much information you provide to us is yours, but if you want to register as a member of, or have a user account on our websites, order printed or download digital resources, make a donation, or participate in our events, we require certain information from you in order to provide those services.
How does Carbon8 use your personal information?
The personal information you provide to us may be used by us for the following purposes:
- to provide you with the information, resources or merchandise you have requested;
- to involve you in programs, campaigns, research, activities or other initiatives undertaken by Carbon8;
- to show your name and the amount of any donation or sponsorship you may make on our website (unless you choose a private or anonymous donation);
- for the marketing and research purposes of Carbon8, its contractors or service providers;
- for internal administrative purposes;
- respond to ‘Contact Us’ form enquiries such as the Carbon8 Farmer Enquiry form or educational programs, general website feedback or assistance, or media enquiries;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- for research, advice and information, including for bench-marking purposes;
- to enable like-minded organisations to contact you with information that may be of interest to you (if you have consented to this);
Regardless of where in the world you reside, Carbon8 may transfer your data to Australia and process and store it there.
Other than for the purposes described above, we will not use your personal information without your prior consent.
Security of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the security of all information we collect, including that the information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. However, no data transmission over the internet or information stored on servers accessible through the internet can be guaranteed to be fully secure.
Disclosure of personal information
- our service providers that host our website servers;
- our delivery partners;
- marketing service providers;
- professional advisors (such as accountants, auditors and lawyers); and
We may also disclose your personal information if:
- you have consented to the disclosure;
Accessing and correcting personal information
You may request access to your personal information collected by us, and ask that we correct that personal information. You can ask for access or correction by contacting us and we will usually respond within 30 days. If we refuse to give you access to, or correct, your personal information, we will notify you in writing setting out the reasons.
Complaints about your privacy
If you believe your privacy has been breached or you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, please contact us in writing. We will respond within a reasonable period (usually within 30 days).
If you are not satisfied with our response, then you may lodge a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (for more information, please see www.oaic.gov.au).
References to “Carbon8”, "we", "us" and "our" are references to Carbon8 Fund Limited ACN 634 329 696.
How to contact us
Please visit our contact us page.